Route to the Urdaibai marshes
Urdaibai: A walk along the estuary and the marshes to the Bird Center
This is a really easy and extraordinarily beautiful circular route - with no gradient - that runs from the centre of Gernika to the Urdaibai Bird Centre.
Where to start out from
10 km (there and back)
2 1/2 hours
How to get to the starting point by public transport
The Euskotren train station is just 5 minutes by foot from the Tourist Office.
If you come by bus, it’ll also set you down just 5 minutes from the Tourist Office and the start of the route.
- If you park in the Santana car park, you can head straight to the Renteria Bridge and start the route from there.
- If you set out from the Tourist Office, then take Calle San Juan until you reach the Renteria Bridge. Cross over the bridge and start walking along the right bank of the estuary.
- Walk for about 2 km until you come to a wooden bridge - but don’t cross it!
- Continue along the path to the right and then take the path to the left until you see a wooden signpost that shows you which path to follow – you’ll have to go down some wooden stairs.
- In no time at all you’ll soon reach Kortezubi, and from the path you’ll be able to see the Church of Santiago above you.
- If we continue along the same wooden walkways, we will reach Gautegiz Arteaga and the Bird Centre.
The way back
- OPTION 1: Head back along the same path as far as the Rentería Bridge.
- OPTION 2: Head back along the same path until you reach the wooden bridge (3 km from the Bird Centre). This time, cross it! Take the path to the right in Forua and visit the Roman settlement. Continue on to Gernika walking along the Paseo de los Tilos which runs alongside the BI 2235.
To return to Gernika by bus, take BIZKAIBUS 3513 from Gautegiz Arteaga.